Monday, February 7, 2011

Wherein I am generally miserable.

Last night I was so proud of myself. I had just put the finishing touches on Mike's shirt. All I needed was to buy some buttons and make button-holes. I even started plotting how to embroider his initials on the cuff. Then he tried it on and said bashfully to me, "Sweetheart, I hate to be an ass because you worked so hard and this shirt is great, but I think the sleeve is backwards."
Burda 7767
Well, it was all I could do not to burst into tears. My perfect top stitching! My hand stitched vent placket! My lovely bias taped seams! Most of this must be undone or thrown away altogether. I'm thanking and cursing my lucky stars that I always order a 1/2 yard extra of my fabric in case I make just such a mistake but this is the first time I've ever had to use it! I was tempted to throw it away and be done with the ridiculous baggage, but here I am, blogging about how I'm going to make the sleeve properly this time.I'm going to have to cut and sew a completely new sleeve, placket and cuff. Blast!
Here are a few tips I have gleamed from this nasty experience:

1. The second that you cut out the sleeves, use chalk to mark right/ left sleeve, which side the vent placket will be sewn, any button holes and pleats of course, and if your fabric has no wrong side, designate one. (Tip courtesy of Mom, who once made the same mistake.)

2. Take a good look at a shirt already made. Note how the sleeve is shaped, where seams rest, placket placement etc and compare it to your pattern. I drew myself a diagram for future reference.
3. Have a nice bottle of wine ready to go to calm yourself but don't drink too much of it or you'll just end up jacking up the project in some way I haven't thought of yet.
Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no!! How disenchanted you must have felt! I am glad you didn't trash the shirt and are going to redo it! You made it with love and it would be a shame to let that darn sleeve get the better of you!
    Have another glass of wine and do pop up a pic of it when you are finished!
    I love your posts!

    ReplyDelete